Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oink, oink

No, it's not another fat blog, promise.

It's a little worse.

I have officially been exposed to swine flu. Or H1N1 as the pc people call it nowadays.

Two confirmed cases at my work. Not in my class, but still kids I'm regularly around. Plus, we share teachers with that room. So, pretty scary.

My doctor put me on Tamiflu as a preventative measure yesterday. I did a lot of soul searching and research before popping the first pill of ten last night. I'm uncertain about how safe it is still, and I loathe taking drugs while pregnant, but let's look at it logically. I'm pregnant. I'm asthmatic. last time I had a serious bout of flu, it turned to pneumonia. Which is horrible if you're pregnant.

So I'm doing a lot of praying right now that this was the best choice, knowing that I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. Luckily, the vaccine - which I am getting - will be out by the end of this month, and my ob/gyn and the local health dept. are both stocking the thimerosal free version. So this Tamiflu should hopefully carry me through til then. Mostly.

Still nervous. But, luckily, I've had no reaction at all to the Tamiflu. Which is good, at least in that it often makes people vomit profusely, which wouldn't be stellar for the baby.

I'm crossing everything possible that this all turns out ok...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am too, of course :) I love you very much, it's always unnerving to make a decision based on risk vs. greater risk.

-Jenna- said...

Here's hoping everything goes okay for you. I'm glad to see you are so conscious about the decisions that might affect your baby, and you're doing your research!!!